When its comes to the new year celebration everyone plans it to be a big one for them, their family and friends .
-Wish you a very Happy New Year 2k17
Now Wrapping up 2016 !
Looking back at 2016
29 Dec 2016
- The year 2016 has witnessed several political upheavals both domestically as well as internationally.
- While India has been dealing with the demonetization move, the US has been coming to terms with their new President Donald Trump; the Syrian civil war finally shown some signs of abating.
- Meanwhile, terror attacks continued to wreak havoc across the globe.
- Let’s see what all made news in 2016.
Britain bids farewell to EU
24 Jun 2016
- In a closely contested poll, voters in Britain have voted to leave the European Union. According to sources the final vote tally was at 51.5% for Brexit, against 48.5% to remain.
- The pound took a pounding and fell 9.4% after the vote.
- Experts state that this vote dealt the greatest blow to European integration since WW2, and paves the way for more exits.
The Syrian War
- In the fifth year of the Syrian civil war, Russian and Syrian efforts finally came through, with the Assad government taking back significant territory from ISIS and rebels.
- Western support to rebel groups which turned extremists was brought to light; Aleppo was finally liberated from rebel control.
- However, the civil war is far from over yet, as ISIS extremists are still active.
India’s spectacular performance at Rio
2016 Rio Olympics
- Indian athletes put up a spectacular performance at Rio Olympics: badminton player PV Sindhu became the first woman to win a silver.
- Wrestler Sakshi Malik, from Haryana, won the bronze in freestyle category and gymnast Dipa Karmarkar ranked fourth in the vault finals.
- India’s hockey team, which failed to even qualify in Beijing Olympics made it all the way to the quarter-finals at Rio.
Explosive Samsung Note 7 called back
03 Sep 2016
- Samsung Electronics has recalled its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone over a faulty battery issue that has been linked to the phone’s explosion during or after charging.
- Experts have assessed that Samsung would incur a cost of approximately $1 billion to recall and replace all the Samsung Note 7s it has distributed.
- Several governments have forbidden carrying the Note 7 on flights.
Not a great year for Indo-Pak relations
- The Pathankot and Uri attacks led to a significant deterioration of Indo-Pak bilateral relations; India’s surgical strike within PoK served as a reminder of the fragile ceasefire along the LoC.
- Both countries expelled several of each-other’s diplomats amid allegations of espionage.
- China’s economic investment into the CPEC has angered India as the proposed routes continue to run through PoK.
Dylan gets nobel prize in literature
13 Oct 2016
- Legendary 75 year old singer/songwriter Bob Dylan has been bestowed with the Nobel-Prize in Literature.
- He has been given the award “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.”
- Though the award is usually announced along with the Science medals, this year’s delay in announcing the literature award, fueled speculation that the panel was in disagreement over a controversial candidate.
The Tata-Mistry split
26 Oct 2016
- Having ousted Mistry as the Chairman of Tata group, Ratan Tata said that his dismissal was important to keep up the sanctity of the Tata household.
- The chairman emeritus believed that Mistry “didn’t respect the board and take care of his fiduciary responsibility.”
- Mistry and Nusli Wadia were consequently removed from the boards of several group companies.
India demonetizes ₹500, ₹1000 notes
08 Nov 2016
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi invalidated old ₹500 and ₹1000 denomination notes from 12:00 am, 9 Nov; new notes of ₹500 and ₹2000 denominations were circulated from 10 November.
- The sudden change was followed up poorly, with far lesser new notes in circulation, leading to a cash-crunch; there was an immediate crackdown on tax evaders.
- In addition, the multitude of policy changes left citizens confused.
Meet President Trump
09 Nov 2016
- The Republican Party rejoiced as their candidate Donald Trump won the elections to become the President-elect.
- Several instances of racial disharmony and hate crimes broke out in the US after Trump’s victory.
- Trump’s policy choices continued to be surprising, the latest being his acknowledgement of Taiwan, ignoring the One-China policy.
Tamil Nadu’s Amma passes away
05 Dec 2016
- On the night of 5th December, 2016, one of India’s most popular political figures and Tamil Nadu’s CM Jayalalithaa was announced dead after a prolonged illness.
- Jayalalithaa’s death left Tamil Nadu politics in turmoil and the AIADMK party in chaos; her close aide Sasikala is expected to be the new general secretary.
- Meanwhile, the Madras HC questioned the secrecy behind her death and medical-records.
Terrorism at its worst in 2016
- Terrorism was at its worst in 2016, both at domestic and international levels; India had to face the Pathankot air base attack and the Uri attack which killed several Indian soldiers.
- Europe had another bad year with high profile attacks like the truck attack at Nice, and the Christmas market attack at Berlin.
- The Orlando shooting was also a prominent stain on 2016.
- India Demonetization: How India Broke Its Economy (on Purpose) | Fortune.com
- Tata-Mistry spat: The Rumble in Bombay House | The Indian Express
- Election: Donald Trump Wins the 2016 Election
- Jayalalitha Dead: Amma no more | Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa dies
- Syria: The story of the conflict – BBC News
- Image courtesy – Google Images.